Skateboarding is a popular sport that requires a lot of maintenance to ensure the safety and longevity of your gear. One of the most important components of your skateboard is the bearings, which allow the wheels to spin smoothly. Over time, the bearings may become dry and start to wear, reducing their performance and lifespan.
In this article, we’ll guide you the ways on how to lubricate sealed skateboard bearings.
Why Lubricate Your Bearings?
Lubricating your skateboard bearings is an essential step in maintaining your skateboard’s performance. It helps to reduce friction between the moving parts, which in turn reduces heat buildup, wear and tear, and the need for frequent replacements.
Lubricating your bearings also helps to keep them running smoothly and quietly, providing a more comfortable and efficient ride.
Before you begin, you will need a few materials to lubricate your skateboard bearings. These include:
- Bearing lubricant
- Clean cloth or paper towel
- A screwdriver
- Your skateboard
How to Lubricate Sealed Skateboard Bearings? Step-by-Step Guide
- Prepare your work area: Find a clean, dry area to work on your skateboard. This will help prevent dirt, dust, and debris from getting into your bearings as you work.
- Remove the wheels: Use a screwdriver to remove the axle nuts on each of your skateboard wheels. Be careful not to damage the nuts or the axle while removing them. Once you’ve removed the nuts, gently pull the wheels off the axle.
- Clean the bearings: Use a clean cloth or paper towel to gently wipe the bearings and the inside of each wheel. This will help to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated on the bearings.
- Apply lubricant: Once you’ve cleaned the bearings, apply a small amount of bearing lubricant to each one. Make sure to cover the entire bearing surface, including the inside of the wheel.
- Reinstall the wheels: Once you’ve lubricated the bearings, carefully place each wheel back onto the axle. Make sure the bearings are properly seated in the wheels, and then tighten the axle nuts to secure the wheels in place.
- Test the wheels: After you’ve reassembled your skateboard, spin the wheels to test their performance. They should spin smoothly and quietly. If you notice any issues, check to make sure the bearings are properly lubricated and seated.
- Store your skateboard: Once you’ve completed the lubrication process, store your skateboard in a safe and dry place.
Related Guide: How to Remove Lube from Stabilizers (2023)? A Complete Guide
Skateboard Bearing Maintenance
Skateboard bearings play a critical role in the performance and longevity of your skateboard. Proper maintenance is essential to keep them running smoothly and to prevent damage. Here are some steps you can follow to maintain your skateboard bearings:
- Clean your bearings: Dirt, grime, and debris can accumulate inside your bearings over time, causing friction and reducing their performance. Clean your bearings regularly using a bearing cleaner or rubbing alcohol.
- Lubricate your bearings: Lubrication helps reduce friction and wear on the bearing components. You can use specialized bearing lubricants or a lightweight oil. Avoid using heavy oils or grease, as they can attract dirt and debris and negatively impact your bearing performance.
- Inspect your bearings for damage: Look for any rust, dents, or other signs of damage on the bearing races and balls. If you notice any damage, replace the damaged bearings.
- Store your skateboard properly: Avoid exposing your skateboard to moisture or extreme temperatures, which can cause rust or damage to your bearings. Store your skateboard in a cool, dry place.
- Replace your bearings: Bearings will eventually wear out over time, even with proper maintenance. Replacing your bearings regularly will ensure that your skateboard continues to perform at its best.
By following these steps, you can help extend the life of your skateboard bearings and keep your ride smooth and fast.
Lubricating your sealed skateboard bearings is a simple and effective way to keep your skateboard in top condition. By following the steps outlined in this article “How to Lubricate Sealed Skateboard Bearings”, you can ensure that your bearings are running smoothly and efficiently, providing you with a better, more comfortable ride.
Whether you’re an experienced skateboarder or a beginner, it’s important to take care of your gear, and lubricating your bearings is a great place to start.